Monday 21 September 2015


The last weekend at home.

I'm chuffed to bits! (That's a Yorkshire saying...) Last week, I was in anticipation of reaching the £1000 milestone but sat here currently we have gone above and beyond that mark and now are so close to that magical £2000 figure! The reason why this amount is so special is that this is the minimum amount needed to be donated on Hubbub in order to receive those pledges. With just 2 more weeks left for donations to be made; it looks like it's going to become a reality. 
The final alumni letter. Very fancy.

It's been a bit of an up-and-down week in terms of training this week. After coming back from Bestival, the week got off to a flying start having rowed 100 km in 7 hours and 44 mins over the course of two days. I took a rest day on Wednesday to allow my arms and legs to recover slightly and went back to a karate lesson in the evening. The plan was to crack out another 100 km over the remainder of the week. However, mother nature had a different plan and I have been fighting a cold which has restricted my training. I managed to reach a grand total of 150 km for the week but a little disappointed this wasn't 200+ km. I still cannot believe my training has taken me over half a million metres! I hope this isn't an early bout of Freshers' flu! (My dad advised just not to go around kissing freshers' in the first week...cheers Dad :/). 

The promotion side of the campaign seems to be gaining more and more momentum with each passing day. The main point from this week is that the finalised email got sent to the Grey Alumni which has resulted in a number of positive responses of which I am very grateful. It is especially nice to read the supportive comments left on the campaign page as well - it is very motivational and encouraging.

This week I have also written to Science in Sport (SiS) with the request for sponsorship. I have been using their REGO Recovery powder and isotonic energy gels during my training which are fantastic, a good reason I felt to write to them. I am still waiting for a response so fingers crossed it is good news! I have also entered the 'Mars Milk Play Fund' which is an opportunity to be awarded £1000 for the club if we receive the most votes, so head over to https://www.marsmilk.com/play-fund-2015/clubs/grey-college-boat-club-gcbc- and cast your vote to help us win!

This weekend is my last weekend at home, on Tuesday I shall be attempting to pack the remainder of my university belongings to take back up to Durham for round two. I am going back up earlier than usual to get into the final intensive routine: eat, sleep, row, (do a little chemistry vacation work) and repeat. Any bets on how long it will take to fit everything and an erg into an estate car? 

Thanks for reading and until the next update from Durham!

Training w/c 14/09/2015 











No comments:

Post a Comment