Wednesday 9 September 2015


How time flies...

Today was my last day of my summer placement at Bluestar Silicones Ltd (thanks to the team for the leaving pub lunch!) and this makes today a very significant day. This marks the end of a full 9-5 day of chemical testing and the start of the highly intensive 9-5, and probably longer, rowing training days. 

Since the start of the month I have been constantly writing - emails to alumni, sponsorship letters to companies and magazine articles all in hopes of promoting the event. I have even ventured into the mysterious world of hash tags on Twitter to get more interest. I shall talk a bit about all of these. Firstly, after a number of back-and-forth emails to Mr Steve Gregory, Secretary and VP for the Grey College Association, we have successfully agreed on an email that contains all the information about the 24 hour row and how to donate. It looks like this could be sent off in the next few days so let's keep our fingers crossed for some positive response and potential donations! 
Needed this today!

Secondly, during my training I have been using some of Science in Sport's products - their energy gels are particularly effective when carrying out those marathon rows. So, I thought it would be ideal to send the company a request for sponsorship especially appropriate considering they are partners with the GB Rowing Team. It might not be successful but you never know until you try!

Thirdly, as some of you might have seen, back in Epiphany Term the CU held an event week called 'Is this it?'. I attended one of their evenings with a friend to my surprise the guest speaker was none other than the GB rower and Olympic medallist; Debbie Flood. She gave a very inspiring talk that connected God and rowing (I am a Christian) which I used as a basis for a magazine article for my local parish magazine. 

Lastly, I'd just say Twitter is weird and wonderful. I'm still learning how to use it properly but I am proud Rachel Morris (GB  rowing squad) favourite a tweet I was in!
It truly has surprised me the number of different contexts which can be used to promote such a campaign. I never quite realised before how hard people that promote charity events work to get sponsorship!

I am looking forward to a <sensible> weekend on the Isle of Wight at Bestival to enjoy the likes of Duran Duran and The Chemical Brothers. Talking of music, as much as I am enjoying the classic tunes of Klute, 24 hours is a long time to fill and I will create a playlist of songs from next week. So if you have any favourite songs you think I'd like to row to post them down below!

Thanks for reading and until next time. 

Training w/c 31/08/2015 



1 comment: